My worm farm isn't working properly. What am I doing wrong?
Overfeeding worm farms with kitchen scraps is the number one mistake people make especially when they first build their worm farm.
Exactly how much your worms will eat depends on how many worms there are, the size of your worm farm, and what the environmental conditions are — they eat less in the colder months, for example.
Worms — and the microbes they rely on for nutrition — need to multiply, says commercial worm farmer and educator Brian Donaldson aka The Worm Man.
A few top tips
- Check your worms once or twice a week
- Cover your scraps with extra bedding
- Protect your worm farm from extreme temperatures
- Feed worms before they've eaten most of what you last gave them
- Water your worms to keep them cool
- Feed worms citrus, onions, dairy and meat