A big spend on inland rail and a funding boost for the National Landcare Program are the 2017 budget highlights for Australia's farming sector.
- $8.4 billion for inland freight rail between Melbourne and Brisbane
- $1 billion in Landcare funding locked in for five years
- New food safety requirements for importers, and new powers to hold product at the border
- Farm Household Allowance still capped at three years, but maxed out farmers can apply for loans
- Live export industry gets $8.3 million to develop new welfare assurance program
(From ABC Rural - 10 May 2017)